Essential tools in Design Thinking
There are many tools, canvases and templates out there to support your workshops and decision making sessions. However in user-centered design there are three essential tools:
- Stakeholder mapping
- Customer journey mapping.
Stakeholder Mapping Template
- Tip: put your design challenge in the middle of the template.
- Nota bene: a stakeholder is a person and not a department.
Persona Core Poster
- Tip: Start with behaviour, then translate this to attitude and goals, at the end you will do your data storytelling and enrich the patterns with some educated guess and give the persona a name and some more attributes to make them feel like real personas.
- Tip: Remember a persona is not a persona but the collection an cluster of findings, insights and patterns.
Customer Journey Template
- Tip: start with the steps in the middle and then go further with context.
- Tip: a customer journey without a persona is useless, someone has to do the journey, it is not a process.
Download the three templates we use at Design Thinking Center:
- Stakeholder Mapping Template: in essence it is a dot with circles.
- The Persona Core Poster developed by Creative Companion.
- The Customer Journey Template: there are many variations, this is the one we use most often.
Want to learn more? Check out our open trainings!